Horses for Adoption
Many of our animals have been rescued from feedlots and auctions; we do our best to offer helpful and honest information about each animal, including known history and potential problems. However, as a rule we don't receive a lot of information on these horses when we get them. It is not unusual for horses to be run through the auction with missing information or misinformation. Quite often no age is given or information on breeding (and rarely makes a difference anyway - lots of papered horses end up going to slaughter), and sometimes even the gender is in question! Therefore we cannot warrant the suitability or training of any of our horses. However we do accept the return of any horse that we adopt out that does not work out, for whatever reason. Your best bet is to come out and meet the horses - they will steal your heart!
Please read our ADOPTION POLICIES and submit an ADOPTION APPLICATION if you are interested in adopting one of our horses.
Please contact Bear Valley Rescue for directions, or if you would like more information on any of the horses. Visits to the Rescue are by appointment only.
If you are unable to own a horse of your own, please consider sponsoring one of our horses! For a donation of $50/month, we will list you as the horse's sponsor and send you a certificate of your sponsor horse.
- Any horse at Bear Valley Rescue can be sponsored.
- Horses for adoption tend to be sound and healthy and would make good riding prospects. Our standard adoption fee is $500.
- Horses for fostering usually have health or temperament issues or are not sound, so are suitable as companion animals or “pasture ornaments” only.
- Permanent resident horses are ones that we do not ever anticipate moving from the Rescue, due to old age or health or temperament issues. Therefore they are only available for sponsoring.
TRACS (The Responsible Animal Care Society), through a generous grant from the Vancouver Foundation, has launched 'Horse Protection Initiatives', an adoption assistance program and euthanasia assistance program, in the hopes of helping to increase horse adoption through rescue societies and to assist owners in covering the cost of euthanasia of old or sick horses in order to keep them out of slaughter facilities. Please click here for more info.
- Click here for updates on some of the horses and what's been happening around the Rescue.
- Horses listed as 'FOSTERED' are generally still available for adoption and can be visited at their foster home by prior arrangement.
- Standard Adoption Fee is $500, unless otherwise noted.
- All adoption fees for colts include gelding.