The saddest news is that we lost both Coal and Montego within a few days of each other. Coal colicked on May 30th and even though we rushed him to the vet clinic in Calgary, he was in so much distress that euthanizing him was about the only option. Then the next day Montego had a very swollen leg up by his stifle and he was completely lame. I was hoping it was only an abscess, as Dingo had the same sort of injury back in April, but it turned out that Montego had a broken bone in his upper leg and we had to have him euthanized as well. It was so tragic, they were both such sweet boys.
There is loss but there is also birth. We had a lot of babies arrive over the last month. Thelma foaled on May 18, and what a surprise, she had a bay paint filly with blue eyes! Gabby, one of the Clydesdales, foaled a colt, Valour, at her foster home on May 21st. Esperanza had a filly on May 22nd, she's been named Isobel2.
Quill, who we got at auction last summer and has been fostered out, also turned out to be pregnant and had THE most handsome colt, born June 2nd. Quill is being adopted, along with her foal, by the foster home. Gabby is being adopted, along with her foal. Dixie has already been adopted too, and especially nice is that they will be fostering Thelma as well!
We took in a few new animals this past month. We got Oliver the piglet, and he was immediately rehomed to The Alice Sanctuary as we had no place to keep him. Coming in to the Rescue were a sorrel mare we've named Cola, (she was supposed to be a gelding!) and a pony stallion we've named Lincoln (who was also supposed to be a gelding). Cola is a bit nervous but she seems very well halterbroke, picks up her feet (fronts, anyway), and trailer loads. Lincoln seems to be completely untouched. His hooves are very overgrown and his front legs are slightly crooked, though he's not unsound. Also when Mike went to an auction to look at skidsteers he came home with a horse instead! Sunny is a lovely papered QH palomino mare, very well mannered, quiet, halter and foot broke but not broke to ride. We took in another 20 chickens that were being culled, these are all very nice red hens about a year old. We are going to have to sort and isolate all the roosters as they've become way too aggressive with the hens (hence the reason for getting more hens, to try and spread out the roosters a bit, but it hasn't worked!).
There have been a few adoptions (thank goodness) - Yoshi, Quill and her foal, Gunner, Flora and Marshall, Jara, Jax, Sigmund, Spark & Peso, and Dixie the foal. We took Powder, Spitfire, Boston, Salsa, Tivio and Estelle up to Trendsetting Stable by Edmonton, as they have offered to work with the horses for us to help make them more adoptable. Thank you Lara Ulan, owner of the stable! Mercy went to her new foster home, as did Wilbur the bottle calf. We took Frank the steer in to have his feet trimmed, and Oreo the bull to have his one testicle removed, then dropped Oreo at his foster home, along with Mercy.
Flame and Elvis were gelded. We had some wire cuts happen (Abby, Gypsy#1 and Morgan) but fortunately none were really terribly serious. I took Emmy in to Moore's for an evaluation of her suspensory ligament issues. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done, but we can make her as comfortable as possible hopefully through the summer at least. She is moving a lot better now, but we're pretty sure we won't make her go through another winter. Prince also is starting to have more trouble with his arthritic knee, so we'll have to see how he does through the summer. Maggie(#3) had her first trim, which we sedated her for because she's had so much trouble with her hind feet and abscesses. Turns out she has some weird proud flesh corn-type thingy coming out the bottom of her hoof as a result of the abscesses, so between the vet and the farrier it was lanced and hopefully will start to heal over. Speaking of the farrier, Pat was out for 3 days in late May and trimmed as many as we could do, including Maggie. We also sedated Biscuit to trim him up as his front hooves tend to break off too short and then he ends up lame. We had a few youngsters who had their first trim, including Chaplain, Leo and Dingo!
The Hungry Herd is doing really well, we'll have to start calling them the Happy Herd instead. I still have to get Ivor and Valiant haltered so we can geld them. We moved a lot of the horses out to pasture already. Sixteen went up to one pasture north of us, 22 went to a neighbour to the east, 5 went to a summer foster down on Horse Creek Rd. and we moved the 2 mares with foals and Louise, Maggie and Sunny to another pasture. We have 5 or 6 more to move next weekend, and hopefully the 10 or 12 already adopted ones will be leaving in the next couple of weeks as well. We have a few more fosters to drop off too yet this week.
Thank you to Karyn for holding a horse handling clinic for some of the volunteers last month. We also are so thankful to everyone for the support during the fundraising blitz for the a new skidsteer, which we have now purchased. It will make Mike's manure-shoveling a lot easier! The Dueling Pianos fundraiser was a smashing success, thank you Krystle for arranging the whole show! We made the leap to leasing a new stock trailer, it's a 24 foot and will hold 9-10 horses, which saves so much time and fuel when hauling it didn't make sense to NOT get it.
Thank you Meadowlark Stables for the donation in memory of Eileen Day.
We are now set up to accept donations of Aeroplan miles -
I've added a couple of new things to our Wish List.