Further to the notecards, I'll try and get them posted on the website for sale. These are notecards in sets of 5 different pictures of Bear Valley horses (photography by Sheena of Blinking Cow Photography). They are blank inside and perfect for thank you notes or short letters for any occasion. We have 3 different sets of cards and they are $10 per set, plus $1 for mailing.
Since the last update we have taken in some more horses from the feedlot. I'm only speculating but I think the feedlot guy we deal with may own or have an interest in the Lacombe slaughter plant. We took in 19 weanlings in one big load on the 15th, and then 4 more horses from the same guy on the 17th. The four from the 17th were 2 scrawny, tick-infested weanlings, and 2 emaciated Thoroughbred mares. We were contacted by the feedlot owner because he figured we could rehab the TB mares and that they'd make good horses once they were in better shape. We were able to track down the mares' information through their lip tattoos. It turns out they both came from the Langley, BC area, and were owned/sold to a gentleman who because ill soon after he received them back in November. He passed away in mid-April and the horses were shipped out here for slaughter, though they obviously had been neglected for months as they are literally just skin and bones. The one mare is Nikki's Secert (no typo), an 11 year old mare who had raced and since had 3 foals. The other mare is Ready in Rouge, a 5 year old mare who raced as recently as last summer. We have already been in contact with a previous owner of Nikki's and have received her papers. Nikki's previous owner was heartbroken to learn of her condition and almost-terrible fate. She believes she may be able to track down Rouge's papers for us as well. The 19 weanlings include some very nice youngsters - a grulla, 3 buckskin/dun colts, some bigger boned babies and a cute pony-type filly. I'll get these guys posted on the website as soon as I can. We also took in an old crippled gelding through Clarissa of AARCS. His name is Twenty. He came from east of Calgary where they'd come across him in a field. Seems he was turned out last fall to die, but didn't. Good save, Clarissa! If nothing else he'll have a nice relaxing summer here at the rescue and if need be we'll euthanize him quietly in the fall.
Joker, Duchess, and Raffles were adopted/fostered and left for their new homes. Summer, Mellow and Nicki left for their new homes as well, along with Monkey and Joanie to foster with a lady who has lots of experience dealing with troublesome leg injuries. Hopefully with her expertise we will be able to finally heal their legs up. They are already booked in for x-rays at her vet next week and if there are underlying issues with the bone we will get them cleaned up so they can begin healing properly. Kahlua, Farrah and Gemma went out on summer foster to where the minis are. I think they're happy to be out of the mud and on some grass, slow as it may be to grow with all this cold we are still having.
Jara's weight hasn't been great so she's now up at the house getting special feed. We also separated out the thinnest of the new horses for special feed and so they don't have to compete with the stronger horses. Rose Red, Tigger, Simba and Percy are below the barn in their own paddock. Percy (the crooked palomino) had a bit of a colic-type episode so we had him on meds for that, and he also has a bit on congestion in one lung so he's on meds for that as well. Rose Red is just very underweight and Tigger and Simba are the 2 that came in with the Thoroughbreds. They are so very thin and covered in huge ticks. I've never had to deal with ticks on horses before and I have to say they are pretty disgusting! We moved Shiloh (Mike's horse), Shay and Graycey back down to the herd (Graycey had mastitis and was up at the house for doctoring). Cecil was also up at the house for a few days as he seemed to be developing an abscess but it cleared up (if that's what it was) and he decided to take himself back down to the herd this morning!
We ran out of large round bales, (I think we went through about 800 so far this winter/spring!) but thankfully we've found some more and as a result Mike has been pretty busy hauling hay home.