Sue Chataway, one of our older foster horses (and former pmu mare) was euthanized at her foster home last week due to a sudden debilitating illness. Thank you Jenn and Mike for fostering her for a number of years. Shandra developed pneumonia in one lung, we believe from inhaling some fluid from a draining abscess in her nasal cavity or throat. She's on antibiotics now to treat it. She's not coughing or showing other symptoms other than pus coming out one nostril (and of course the congestion in one lung). The smell from the one nostril was pretty bad, but it's improving so hopefully that means the antibiotics are working. We think that Lucky had a minor stroke a couple of days ago. His tongue is tending to hang out the right side of his mouth and he's drooling quite a bit. He thankfully doesn't have any other visible symptoms and we're hoping with time he'll recover fully. He is able to eat his mash and doesn't have any trouble walking, was even still being his normal playful self this morning, goofing around with Old Red.
We delivered Mugsy to her new foster home last week, she's going to keep another old pony company. Tomorrow we'll be delivering Blizzard and Kiwi to their new foster home, along with Cassie who has been adopted to the same home. Today I dropped Twobits off at her new foster home just down the road. Max is adopted! He's such a cute little guy, I'm really happy he's going to have his own person. Poncho the donkey and Lexus the Thoroughbred mare have each been adopted by their respective foster homes. Smudge is back and up for adoption; he was fostered out for 2 1/2 years with the Christman family and it worked out wonderfully that we were able to deliver Mugsy and pick up Smudge on the same day, as they were within about 10 kms of each other. I haven't had a chance yet to spend much time with him but Smudge seems to be much quieter and better mannered than when he left. Trouble is also adopted! She'll be leaving for BC at the end of February.
Our farrier Pat was out for 3 days last week and we got lots of horses trimmed again. Thank you to everyone who was able to help on the farrier days. We also were able to deworm all but 2 of the weanlings. The last 2 (Girl and Atticus) will be done next week once they're halter-broke. Of course I had to do the poop inspection afterwards and see who's pooping out worms. Boy, some of them were pretty infested. I'm so glad we got them done. By the time we do them again in the spring they should all be halter-broke and easy as pie to do, just like the previous year's bunch.