The on-line auction is up and running! It runs until Dec 20th, but I'm not sure exactly what time it ends (for those of you who will want to sneak in those last minute bids!). I'll find out and post it here and on facebook.
We'll be picking up the second Olds College group on Tuesday. Susanne and I went out there and watched them last week, it was really nice to see how much they'd already progressed.
Fritz has come back to the rescue and is up for adoption again - drove all the way to Hanna (practically to the Saskatchewan border!) to pick him up. We also picked up Blizzard from his foster home in Edmonton, along with 2 other surrenders. Neither day was great driving weather but we made in home okay. Jara and Cassie are the 2 new additions, both very nice girls! I have also relisted Peso and Faith. They were adopted out a few years ago and came back last winter (2011) for what was supposed to be a temporary stay until spring (2012), while their owner was getting knee surgery and then relocating to Quebec, at which point he was supposed to pick up the horses to take back to Quebec with him. However we haven't heard or been able to get hold of him since early this year. We are worried and hope he is okay, but would also like to have know what to do with the horses. I think it's been long enough now that we can be pretty sure they're ours to rehome. Unfortunately neither of the horses have had any work done or handling since they've been here so they're in dire need of a refresher! Finn is back, he injured his face in the trailer when he went out but for all that he's a lot quieter from being handled to treat his injury.
Holly is back, just for the winter, as she needs some extra feed to keep her weight up. Aric is also back temporarily, he's got some 'man' issues, ie thinks he a stallion, so we're having blood work done on him as, even though he was sold at the auction as a gelding, he could actually be a bilateral cryptorchid, which we've seen before, in which case he'll need to be gelded!
Mackenzie and Samia are pregnant but Nina is not. Turns out PQ is pregnant as well, but she is adopted out and will be leaving for her new home soon. Anyone else who purchased a mare from the Medicine Hat group at the Innisfail auction in August, check your mare as she may be bred back! We'll have to keep an eye on Smoothie and Dee, as they may be pregnant then too. I'm still not sure if Glory is pregnant or not, she's not showing much if she is, but she'd be due a lot later. Mackenzie and Samia will be due in winter, and PQ I'm pretty sure is going to be due very soon as well.
I did some counting and this is what I came up with:
We currently have 69 horses available for adoption
30 horses available for fostering
21 permanent residents
6 of our own horses
5 horses adopted out but not yet gone to their new homes
6 horses belonging to others and here for various reasons
36 animals fostered out (including 4 llamas and 2 donkeys)
75 horses adopted out so far this year
No wonder we've been so busy. We bought bagged feed for December, it came to almost 3 tons (6000 lbs or over 2700 kgs) of feed! A big 'thanks' to Terri for coming out and giving us a lesson on blankets and for helping to sort and size them. Thank you to Colton and Wyatt, and Jessie and Levi, for the donations!